Wednesday, August 8, 2012

windows

So I went for a four hour walk today. It was from NE Ainsworth, right near where I am staying, all the way downtown to the water front. I saw a lot of things on a windy Tuesday night.

I saw myself in a lot of windows and doorways. I am about thirty pounds heavier than I was when I got back from Ghana. That is probably from sitting around too much and having much more than I need to eat. A terrible problem to have I admit. In Ghana I walked everywhere, sweat all day, and ate no where as much as I do here.

None of the clothes that I brought fit anymore. My weight fluctuates so much that my clothes go through hell. Also, the wear and tear of living in a car makes them stretch and ruins them.

During the walk I met a man going through recycling bins looking for empties. He told me that he had found a turtle in a driveway and because he didn't know what to do with it he put it in a cardboard box. He asked me what I should do. I told him I didn't know and left.

After awhile I came to a bridge that I tried to cross, but it turned out to be only for cars. Then I backtracked and kept walking to the broadway bridge. As I went across it the sun was going down and the river was lit up with a golden wave.

I sat down near the river and watched people go by. The sun was almost down and the crowd consisted  of a lot of runners and bikers. Most had earphones in and didn't notice me. When I go out I try to smile at everyone I can to be friendly. The other people around were a big group of skateboarders, who didn't seem very happy about something, and some crusty punks who seemed extremely excited about something in a bucket. I didn't ask what it was.

Some would call this a welfare city. Where people sit on the street and expect handouts, but some of the people that I have seen and met choose to live this life and are so free it glows from them. I don't see myself sleeping in an alley way or under a bridge anytime soon, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment