Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Twine-a-thon

So there are two new members of my little adventure. Both my friends Dennis St. Pierre, an ex-crane operator and a young man named Eric Krampitz, a meat clerk at BJ’s will be joining me on my trip. They are both great guys and I have known Dennis almost my entire life.

We recently started practicing music as we hang out together on many a boring weeknight. I have often wished that I put my free time to better use and I feel that I am now that I am trying to learn the guitar. All of us decided that we are going to play as a band along the way as a means to generate funds. Also as a means to keep sane. Or go insane. Who knows?

So I have also started researching the places that I want to go on this little adventure. I was looking on Roadsideamerica.com, which is a site dedicated to eccentric and off beat tourist attractions located in the United States. I came across the old cliché of the world’s largest ball of twine. It seems to me that whenever there is any kind of story about traveling there is always the small stop off at the worlds largest ball of twine. It is located in Cawker City, Kansas. I for one want to see it. I think it is interesting that it was started in the fifties and when the single man producing it couldn’t do it anymore he turned it over to the town. They pulled together and created the annual, “Twine-a-thon.” Every year anyone in town, including tourists can wrap twine around the behemoth. I for one am making this one of the destinations of this trip.

Thanks for reading.
James

No comments:

Post a Comment