Thursday, March 25, 2010

REEFER MADNESS


The other day I went with Russ Martin to the Remington Building in Middletown. I did not expect anything like what he told me on the phone. He mentioned that we would be sorting film. He didn't tell me how amazing it would be.

At nine thirty in the morning I stepped into a door labeled Circus Tech. I don't really know what is technical about a circus, but it was an interesting door. After some dilapitated stairs I went up to a warehouse floor much like the one we filmed the Sensory Perception bunker scene last October. There were pallets and pallets of film. It turned out to be the personal collection of Elvin Feltner. Bitchin name.


Turns out he has a huge collection of 35mm and 16mm film that has been decomposing for years. Russ and I went thru about three pallets of them throwing out so many that had turned to vinegar and had become warped. I had been going thru a lot and was wondering why so many said "bridge" on them. I thought it was a tv show about bridges, but there were so many. When I asked what they were the lawyer that represented him said that Elvin had once owned the rights to film the national bridge championships. Yeah, the card game. People used to watch that on television. Riveting in my opinion


After throwing away lots of bridge I freaked out when I saw what was underneath all of them. It was an original 35mm copy of Reefer Madness made in 1936. I picked it up and when I showed it to the lawyer he almost went as crazy as me. I was so excited I was almost giddy. It takes a lot to get me giddy.



I held Reefer Madness in my hands. In my hands.


Read a book.

1 comment: